Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy 10th Birthday, Jaime!



Jaime, one of the reasons you are so special is because with you, everything is new. With you, I experienced the first thrill of seeing a flickering heartbeat on an ultrasound. I wore maternity clothes for the first time (and was EXCITED about it!). I first felt the amazing sensation of you kicking inside of me. You were the first to call me "mama," the first to give me sweet little girl kisses goodnight, the first to prance off to school, oblivious to your mommy's inner turmoil.




With the new joys, you also taught me about heartache. I learned all about fetal movement and amniotic fluid and high risk pregnancies. I went through the awful, mindblowing fear of your premature birth, and the sweet agony of witnessing a machine breathing for you and nurses recording your every heartbeat. And yet, even in that fear there was joy. The joy of finally holding you for the first time, days after your birth, and how impossibly small you felt in my arms. The joy of you nestled against me, skin to skin, oblivious to the alien world of the NICU. And, of course, the much anticipated joy of finally bringing you home, of being able to mother you after weeks of waiting.




And through the years, you continue to teach me. You've taught me that, when you have a baby with reflux, you must not only bring several changes of clothes for baby, but for yourself as well! You've taught me that there is such a thing as tick paralysis. You taught me the value of a day well spent, playing at the park or reading stories or playing barbies, and laying down at night in a messy house knowing that it was a perfect day. Each year, you teach me new and interesting things at The Oaks (it's getting harder and harder to help you with your homework, my dear!). And as you grow, I am learning that even now, I am being called to begin to let you go. I can't believe that the years that I have you with me are already over halfway behind us. And yet, in the midst of the sadness that you are growing up, I couldn't be more proud of the daughter you are becoming. You are smart, beautiful, and most important, you have a relationship with your Creator. What more could a parent ask for?




So happy birthday, our beautiful little miracle baby. We are so, so blessed to have you in our lives!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaime said...

Happy Birthday Jaime!!! I am so glad that you are growing so wonderfully physically and spiritually. God Bless kiddo!
From the other Jaime

11:00 PM  
Blogger Terrance and Taylor-Grace said...

Happy late birthday sweet girl! Megan I love how you tell stories on your blog...it makes it so much more personal...we love you guys!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home