Saturday, September 09, 2006

9/11

Deut. 32:39 ‘See now that I, I am He,
And there is no god besides Me;
It is I who put to death and give life.
I have wounded and it is I who heal,
And there is no one who can deliver from My hand.

This morning I read a commentary by Peggy Noonan reflecting on the final thoughts of those who died on that fateful day 5 years ago. It was a rather powerful article. She quote numerous people who died on that day. Her point was that no one really called to express hate at either their life or maybe more surprisingly at those who flew the planes into the buildings.

Now, I don't know if all the people she quoted actually spoke those words before dying. But what I realized is that those who died, died for a purpose. We cannot simply white-wash the truth of scripture as followers of Jesus Christ. There is purpose in death. Intense, eternal, weighty purpose in death and suffering.

Prov. 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, But its every decision is from the LORD.

There is no such thing as coincidence. Each and every person that died from the hijackers themselves to the firefighters who rushed into the buildings was destined to die on that day. These are harsh, true words. If God is God. If the words of the law and the prophets are true then...

Psa. 139:16b in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.

As I think about this next Monday and what it means I can't help but be amazed that the same God who allows suffering and evil and killers to fly planes into buildings, is the same God that washed away the sin of the world. To think that our sovereign Lord loves us enough to allow suffering that we then see His glory is jaw dropping.

Job 40:4 “Behold, I am insignificant; what can I reply to Thee? I lay my hand on my mouth.

As followers of Jesus Christ may we never be ashamed at who God is. Yes, even the God that kills and makes alive. Let us not bastardize the Lord of Heaven and earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home